What is United Way? Is it an airline?
United Way of Santa Rosa County is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose goal is to advance the common good in our community in two primary ways. First, we support local nonprofits who serve a variety of needs in the community; secon, we provide direct assistance through our own programs that serve the community. We also house the First Call for Help information and referral phoneline that matches individuals with agencies that can assist with their needs. Together, as a community united, we can make positive change in Santa Rosa County.
- First Call for Help - This one-stop information and referral service helps to point callers int he direction of organizations or agencies who can assist them with needs ranging from houseing, employment, financial assistance, etc.
- Money Cents - An ongoing financial stability initiative that provides budgeting workshops and one-on-one interaction with adults and teens seeking a successful financial future.
- Day of Action - This is United Way's green volunteer day, where we invite members of the community to do something good for the environment.
- Cram the Van - Each year before school begins, United Way leads this school supply drive for kids of all ages. More than 1,600 children received school supplies in 2009.
- Day of Caring - Groups of volunteers are assigned projects for helping local residents and charities by taking on projects such as building wheelchair ramps, painting houses or making holiday cards for the indigent and elderly.
How does the annual campaign work?
United Way partners with businesses throughout the county to give their employees the opportunity to contribute to United Way, primarily though payroll deduction. Each company has its own internal Employee Campaign Coordinator and Loaned Executive as liaison between the company and United Way. Many businesses or their parent companies offer a corporate match or corporate donation to motivate employees to give. Last year, our workplace campaign along with other fundraising efforts totaled more than $320,000.
Why am I asked to give to United Way by my employer?
Why should I give to United Way?